Follow-up on the Brew day
Had some people ask about the Arrogant Bastard clone so I thought I just throw an update out. The brew day went off so surpassingly smoothly that I sort of floated through it.
I modified the recipe some, as I didn’t have all the grain that I thought I did, so the final recipe looks a bit more like this:
- 15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
- 1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0
- 1.00 lb Munich Malt – 10L (10.0 SRM)
- 0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
- 0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
- 0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
- 0.25 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM)
I also went with the 5.72 gallon boil volume recommended which was a mistake given a 90-minute boil time. In retrospect I should have boosted the volume to around 6.5 gallons. Regardless, I had prepared the yeast starter a week or so back and the airlock was bubbling within 12 hours or so.
On another note, I just went to the grape and granary site and picked up ingredients for a Founder’s Breakfast Stout clone and a Flanders Red, which I’m real intrigued about. My wife enjoys Rodenbach so I thought I’d take a stab at it. Little did I know that it involves nearly 2 years and a pitch pack named, enticingly, “The Roeselare Blend” which apparently contains “Belgian style ale strain, a sherry strain, two Brettanomyces strains, a Lactobacillus culture, and a Pediococcus culture” which results in a 1.5″ cake of pellicle on the fermenting beer.
Mr. Beer Kit
As well, I won a Mr. Beer kit on eBay ($25) which I’m going to play with just for kicks and see what I can make out of it. If nothing else there was a post on homebrew talk that mentioned the fake barrel being useful for real ales. Regardless, I can load up that barrel and the party pig and avoid the problems I had with the Keg Charger at the Oktoberfest.