I got my recipe from Brewer’s Friend, and it was a recipe posted by Cameron. He also has a YouTube video showing how he went about it.
Well it was that time of year again for the Christmas Ale to come rolling out, and I had my fill of it over the holidays. I’ve never tried brewing a clone of the beer, so this year I thought that I would. I got to it a bit later than I would have liked, but the five gallons I got will carry me through the snowy months as I brew Stout and then, in March, and Oktoberfest.
|12 lbs||Pale Malt||Grain||1||78.0 %||0.94 gal|
|1 lbs 3.2 oz||Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L (53.4 SRM)||Grain||2||7.8 %||0.09 gal|
|12.8 oz||Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)||Grain||3||5.2 %||0.06 gal|
|5.1 oz||Special Roast (50.0 SRM)||Grain||4||2.1 %||0.03 gal|
|1.0 oz||Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)||Grain||5||0.4%||0.00 gal|
|1.0 oz||Liberty [4.30 %] – Boil 60.0 min||Hop||6||11.6 IBUs||—|
|1.0 oz||Liberty [4.30 %] – Boil 15.0 min||Hop||7||5.7 IBUs||—|
|1.0 oz||Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins)||Herb||8||—||—|
|1.0 oz||Cascade [5.50 %] – Boil 11.0 min||Hop||9||5. IBUs||—|
|4.0 oz||Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins)||Spice||10||—||—|
|1 lb||Honey [Primary]||Honey||11||6.5%||0.08 gal|
I had to make some modifications based on the ingredients I had on hand, but this is the recipe I ended up with:
My mash volume was 6.52 gallons with a pH of 5.3 and my sparge volume was 3.73 gallons with a pH of 5.2. My pre-boil volume was 8 gallons (I overshot the 7.4 recommended), but boiled it 75 minutes instead of 60 minutes. I mashed at between 154 degrees and 156 degrees for 60 minutes, the sparge took around the same amount of time at 168 degrees. (I donated my spent grains to a neighbor who has chickens.) My measured pre-boil gravity was 1.056, and my measured original gravity was 1.070. I brew using a Grainfather, so the mash was continually re-circulating. I pitched a California Ale yeast (WLP001), for which I created a starter. The yeast was old (September 2021 expiration), so I hedged my bet and also pitched Safale US-05 into the fermenter. The wort went into the fermenter at 68 degrees, I oxygenated it via O2 and a stone prior to pitching the yeast. The beer finished fermenting three days ago, January 3, 2022, and started fermenting within 24 hours. It was a long fermentation as I brewed the beer on December 23, 2021. I’ll move it into a corny keg tomorrow and take final gravity readings at that time.